August 26, 2016
By Jan Buchholz
I outlined 10 major construction projects in the pipeline worth more than $550 million in an Aug. 22 web story. But as I was perusing a longer project list from the Texas Department of Licensing and Regulation I came across some other notable deals. Here’s a look at a few:
• WeWork Companies Inc. plans to open a third location — this time at The Domain. The tenant renovation is for about 61,000 square feet at Domain 1, 11801 Domain Blvd., according to city development records. The project is valued at $10 million. Endeavor Real Estate Group is the owner of the office building. Merriman Anderson Architects Inc. in Dallas is handling the design. WeWork, the New York co-working operator, also has a location downtown at 600 Congress Ave. and one at University Park, 3300 N. I-35.
• GSD&M, the Austin-based advertising agency that counts Southwest Airlines among its formidable clients, is spending about $3.4 million to remodel its headquarters at 828 W. Sixth St. Though STG Design has its offices in the same building, GSD&M has opted to use Studio8 Architects for its 71,484-square-foot renovation. Construction may start this fall and be completed in summer 2017.
• Utopia Dog Hotel is planned for a 3.1-acre parcel near 2900 W. Howard Lane. The animal care and boarding facility is being proposed by Lee and Rita Berlad of Fredericksburg, Virginia. BIG RED DOG Engineering & Consulting has the assignment on the $1.4 million project, which is still in the site plan review process.
• The Church of Scientology plans to add another story at 2200 Guadalupe St. near the University of Texas. The project is valued at $10 million and Gensler is handling the design. Construction could start as early as January and be complete by the end of next year.
• Veteran Austin real estate developer and investor Steve Herren has created Falconhead Office LLC to build six shell office buildings at 14425 Falconhead Blvd. in Bee Cave. The project is valued at $9.75 million and is being designed by L.M. “Mac” Holder III. Construction is expected to begin next month with delivery projected by December 2018.
• St. Edward’s University is building a $25.5 million dormitory. Sasaki Associatesin the Boston area is the architect of the 450-bed project that will cover about 185,000 square feet on five floors. Sasaki has handled multiple projects for the South Austin university. The proposed project is in the city’s plan review process.
• Data Foundry, a privately-held data center company, is building a 150,000-square-foot data center adjacent to its current Texas 1 data center at 4100 Smith School Road in South Austin. The $20 million is being designed by Corgan Associates in Dallas. The project could be complete by late summer 2017.
• The Westview offices at 316 W. 12th St. are getting a makeover. A Dallas-based entity, Austin 316 LP, plans to add an additional 18,800 square feet to an existing 87,500-square-foot office building near the State Capitol. The estimated cost is $11 million. A restaurant is also proposed for the project, based on a letter to the city from the project engineer BIG RED DOG Engineering & Consulting. City development documents show the project under review.
• The University of Texas is building a tennis center replacement facility in East Austin at 110 Inner Campus Drive. Valued at $11,780,000, the project will have 12 new tennis courts and could be done by the end of 2017. Chambers — an architectural firm with offices in Irving, Texas — has the assignment. Chambers also designed the University of Texas Golf Club. The tennis replacement facility is part of a larger redevelopment on the east side of I-35 near campus, which will include a 2,000-car parking garage.